Rye Bread

You may also like...

12 Responses

1. Anita says:

I find that I have to add quite a bit more flour just to be able to unstick the dough from my hands as I’m kneading – is this normal?

• Liva says:

I find this recipe different from most dough recipes, e.g., piragi dough. I have made the bread with this recipe several times and I do not add any flour to “unstick” the dough. It is awfully sticky with this amount of flour, but I just scrape it off my hands. Bread turns out just like it is meant to be.

2. tania says:

You got a recipe for a sour Latvian rye sourdough??? My mum’s friend used to make a very dark sourdough that was lip puckering tangy, and I loved it. She died many years ago, and I have been unable to replicate it.

3. Stefanie LeBlanc says:

How many cups of flour is that? 3 cups seems to make it still runny.

4. Stefanie says:

Thanks – I eyeballed it, and it’s delicious!!

5. Tiago says:

Hi there! I also love Latvian rye bread, so I’m glad I’ve found your blog. I have managed to find malt extract. I would like to know whether I should replace then the 4 tbs sugar for 4 tbs malt extract?

6. Tiago says:

Hi there! Me again… I’ve managed to bake the Latvian rye bread following your recipe. However, the loaf turns out a bit flat. I bake it on an oven tray with baking paper. How have you baked yours (the one shown in the photo)?
    By the way, do you happen to have/know any recipe to make a Latvian rye bread with fruits? See here, for example: http://newyork.seriouseats.com/images/20120101-190914-goodbread-storye-fruitnuts.jpg
    Thanks for sharing your recipes. I really enjoy them!

• Liva says:

My guess would be that there is an issue with yeast. Yeast needs to be fresh, I’ve found on occasions that it does not perform that well after a while, e.g., if stored incorrectly. It may also be that the buttermilk was too hot and it killed the yeast.