Lieldienas (Easter)

You may also like...

8 Responses

1. Mark says:

Thank you for this lovely website. As i read thru the various Latvian dishes, it puts a smile on my face as i too am Latvian and have eaten 90% of these foods my whole life. I have a quick question though. In the Lieldienas section you have a beautiful photo of Easter eggs that are brown AND BLUE! The brown ones are similar to the ones I and most other Latvians make every year but i had never seen blue ones. They are beautiful! May i ask how you did it? You mentioned blueberry jam but how did u use it? What i am most surprised by is the fact that the blue and brown stayed seperate. I would have thought that blueberry jam would make all of the water blue and mixed with brown would result in a drab grayish color. Did u put the jam on the eggs along with the onion skins before wrapping them in the cloth? Seems like bleeding would still happen… Or did u do something with the jam AFTER you cooked the eggs? Its a mystery to me but one that i would love to have solved as i am just about to start my egg coloring.(Easter is tomorrow!) Any info would be greatly appreciated! Mīļš paldies un Priecīgas Lieldienas!

• Liva says:

To get the blue on the eggs put a little bit of blueberry or bilberry jam on the egg (not covering the whole egg), then add some onion peel, wrap tightly in a cotton cloth and secure with a yarn. I suppose it would work also with fresh berries, but they are not in the season yet. It works best with white eggs.
      Thank you for the kind words, much more to come content wise, time is the only constraint!

2. Anonymous says:

Another way to get blue colored eggs – wrap the egg in shredded red cabbage leaves. Boil the eggs for 12 minutes and then plunge into ice water. Return the eggs to the pan of cabbage water to soak overnight. Unwrap 6-8 hours later.

3. ilze says:

4. Imants M, Svans says:

How do you get the blue color eggs?

• Liva says:

5. Cindy Celins-Hutchinson says:

I would also like to thank you for creating this website. Both of my parents fled with their families during WWII. My Mom and her twin sister made these recipes often. They are gone, but the Latvian food traditions must live on! Paldies for taking me down memory lane.

6. Rita Moore says:

I remember my Omit making paska for Easter. Does anyone have a recipe for it? I remember she shaped it like a bunny using slivered almonds to decorate the bunny.