Lazy Cabbage Rolls (Slinkie tīteņi)
Cabbage rolls – what’s not to love? But what do you do when it is Monday night, no Latvian deli in sight, and no energy to cook? Needless to say, who keeps a whole head of cabbage in the fridge?
The answer is lazy cabbage rolls – significantly less effort and same amazing flavour.
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1 carrot
- 1/4 head of cabbage
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- 500g pork or beef mince
- 3 tbs tomato paste
- salt and pepper
- sour cream for serving
- Finely chop onion and garlic, coarsely grate carrots. Place the onion and garlic in a large saucepan and fry in oil until translucent. Add grated carrots and continue to fry for couple more minutes until carrots have softened.
- Meanwhile, finely slice cabbage. Add cabbage, rice and water to the saucepan. Cover and let it simmer on medium low heat until rice and cabbage are half done (around 7 minutes).
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan brown the mince meat. When meat is nearly done, add tomato paste.
- Add meat mixture to cabbage mixture and mix well. If required, add a bit more water.
- Let the stew simmer for further 10 minutes or until rice is cooked and cabbage done to your liking.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with sour cream.
If you have leftover cooked rice, you can add the rice at the same time when adding meat.