Anyone who has been to Latvia and dined in one of many roadside and country pubs (krodziņš) will know that pretty much any meal is served with potatoes and at least two kinds of salad. It can be coleslaw (but, surprisingly, without mayo dressing), carrot salad, beetroot salad, pickled cucumbers… Summer slaw (jauno kāpostu salāti) is quite popular in summer as it is made from young cabbage that is not so intense in flavour or dense in texture and barely any dressing.
- 1/2 head of young cabbage
- 1 bunch of dill
- 2 spring onions
- 5 tbs oil
- 1 tsp salt
- Finely shred the cabbage.
- Finely chop dill and spring onion.
- Mix together cabbage, dill, onion, oil, and salt.
- Let the cabbage mixture sit for an hour. Adjust salt and oil before serving.