This is a quick and easy cake that everyone will love – it is light and moist and perfect with a cup of tea. This is a spin-off of an apple cake (ābolmaize) but I have found the tartness of plums to work better with the sweetness of the pastry.
- 600g plums
- 1 cup sugar
- 100g softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease 26 cm round cake pan.
- Halve the plums length wise and remove the pits. Set aside.
- Beat butter, vanilla extract and sugar in a medium bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Stir in sour cream, bicarb soda and sifted flour.
- Spread the mixture into pan, top with the halved plums. Bake about 30 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes, remove from the pan and cool on a rack.
Same dough can be used for apple, peach or nectarine cake.