Jāņu siers (Latvian cheese)

You may also like...

11 Responses

1. Baiba says:

There is no egg in recipe so I don’t think it will work, egg is the key ingredient to keep it all together, and to get yellow color (pls don’t add tumeric, good free range country eggs with bright yolks will do the trick!!)

Ligo ligo

• Liva says:

The egg is third in the ingredient list. I used free range egg, my cheese turned out quite paled. But it tasted the same and I would never put food colouring in it.

2. Ligo says:

if this is supposed for non- latvians .. .they will try to look for this ”magical” cheese cloth – it is called muslin cloth in English by the way!

3. Donna says:

What would the US measures be

4. Lisa Harty says:

So happy- thank you! I am going to make this for my 83 year old 100% Latvian Dad for Fathers Day. Do you have the recipe for original Latvian cheesecake. I found one that he said was close bit not the one he misses. It has cottage cheese, yellow raisins, eggs etc. Thanks again- he is going to be thrilled if I make this right. Sincerely, Lisa Harty ( half Latvian)

• Liva says:

I have the recipe on the website, but, as with all Latvian recipes, every family adds their own little quirks that changes taste :)

• Lisa Harty says:

Thank you- my Latvian cheese did not work- I used regular cottage cheese- drained well . I halved the recipe as a test first with 1 pound regular drained cottage cheese and 6 cups milk. I saw it said to use Farmers cheese in the states. Oops. I am going to try your other recipe. Thanks again.

5. Lisa Harty says:

I spoke too soon! It did work. I was waiting to see the yellow green whey but when I put in the sieve- there the yellow green color cam into the bowl. Now it is formed in cheesecloth and weighted down in the fridge. Victory! Thanks so much! Happy Father’s Day <3

1. June 24, 2016

[…] Summer is finally here! We recently wrote about the Swedish solstice celebration of Midsommar, but they are not the only game in town for Midsummer festivities. In Latvia, the celebration around Midsummer is the biggest holiday of the year. Latvians celebrate both the nights of Midsummer eve, Līgo (Ligo), and the next day, which is known as St. John’s Day or Jāņi (Jani). Like their Swedish counterparts, Latvians spend the day outside to take in the very late sunsets, weaving flower crowns, dancing, eating and drinking. However one major point of difference between the Swedish and Latvian midsummer table is the cheese! In Latvia, one of the signature dishes of Jani is the bright yellow cheese known as Jāņu siers (Jaņi cheese), flavored with caraway seeds. Not only eaten on Jani, this is a dish you will find on any Latvian smorgasbord throughout the year, and you can find a recipe to make your own at Latvian Eats. […]