Bean salad (pupiņu salāti), in my opinion, is Latvian equivalent of fast food: it is cheap, fast and easy to make, but without the greasy aftertaste. There are several variations of the salad, and the one presented here is a somewhat recent invention due to the use of capsicum and tinned kidney beans.
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1 red capsicum
- 2 medium size pickles
- 1/2 cup finely diced ham
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- salt and pepper to season
- Drain and rinse the kidney beans. Place in a medium bowl.
- Finely dice capsicum and pickles, add to the beans.
- Add finely diced ham to the other ingredients. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Mix together sour cream and mayonnaise and stir through the bean mixture.