Milk vegetable soup
Milk vegetable soup (piena dārzeņu zupa) is a must have for summer when carrots, potatoes, peas and cabbage are just coming in season. But really, it can be made any time of the year as quick and easy comfort food. It is kids favourite and tastes like my childhood when served with buttered white bread.
- 1l water
- 1.5l milk
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 medium carrots
- 1/4 medium size cabbage
- 1/2 cup green peas
- Bring water to a boil in a medium size pot.
- Cube potatoes, slice carrots, finely chop cabbage.
- Add vegetables to the boiling water (add more water if required to cover all vegetables) and simmer on low heat for 7-10 minutes until almost tender.
- Meanwhile boil the milk in a separate pot.
- When vegetables are nearly done, add the peas and boiled milk.
- Stir well and simmer for 2-3 minutes. Season well with salt.
- Serve with a slice of white bread and butter.
You can use frozen green peas in this recipe.