Tomato salad, especially when made with homegrown heirloom tomatoes, is one of my favourite summer comfort foods; it is unpretentious, yet satisfying. The best part always is the juice and cream mixture left in the bowl, it hits the umami spot perfectly. No shame in slurping it down!
- 4 tomatoes
- 1 spring onion, small salad onion or some chives
- 3 tbs sour cream
- salt and pepper
- Cut tomatoes in bite size pieces.
- Finely chop onion (or slice spring onion).
- Mix tomatoes, onion and sour cream together.
- Season well with salt and pepper.
- Enjoy with a slice of buttered white bread.
Ripe heirloom tomatoes in room temperature work best - I used different type and colour (red, yellow, black) tomatoes grown in my garden for a mix of tastes and textures. For more juicy results, let the salad sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.