My mum is not much of a cook (and she knows it), and this is the only recipe I ever learned from her. I remember her making these baked cheese toasties (ceptas siermaizītes) for breakfast on rare occasions when I was a little girl. I believe the rarity of the toasties had more to do with availability of the products, rather than mum’s unwillingness to cook, which made them even more special. And they are a huge hit with my kids now!
- 300g grated cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 baguette
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Place a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray.
- Mix together cheese and eggs.
- Slice and butter the bread on both sides.
- Place the bread on the baking tray and top with the cheese mixture just to cover the bread.
- Bake the bread for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and turned golden brown. Serve warm.